Bolands Bridges in the Game of Checkers
Copyright 1954 by Ben Boland, Author and Publisher
Brooklyn, New York, 208 numbered pages.
About the Author
Benjamin (Ben) Boland was born in Lachine, Ontario, Canada in 1910. When he was ten years old his parents relocated to Brooklyn, New York.
He was without a question the greatest problemist. He was a regular contributor to Elam’s Checker Board (ECB).
He did enrich the literature of checkers with such great books like
- Boland’s Familiar Themes (1938)
- Checkers for the Millions (1939)
- Boland’s Famous Positions (1940)
- Boland’s Masterpieces in the Game of Checkers (1947)
- Corrections to Boland’s Works (1950)
- Boland’s Bridges in the Game of Checkers (1954)
- Boland’s Border Classics (1957)
- Boland’s Checkers in Depth (1974)
- Checkers : Boland’s White & Black Doctors (1984)
No finer tribute could be paid than Dr. Marion Tinsley stating “When I go to checker tournaments the only books I carry are those by Ben Boland”. Ben Boland died age 89 in Delray Beach, FL on the 25th March 1999.
I did just scan the main index but there is an author index on the end of the book listing where to find a bridge ending of a certain problemist.
Who is this book for?
Every expert that would like to widen his knowledge in terms of bridge situations. Wouldn’t recommend this book for an beginner. But all of Boland’s Books are simply must haves.
A great work on Bridges and the work to consult on the subject matter. A must have. And keep in mind of course there will be errors as this was before the age of perfect computer play.
Where to obtain
If you do like old books or reprints and give an commercial seller a go click the image right below.
Alternative Problem Books
- Boland’s Famous Positions in the Game of Checkers
- The Game of Draughts – Gould’s Book of Problems
- 101 Checker Puzzles MENSA
- Key Endings
- Key Landings
…and so many more…